I’m about to let you in on a secret. 99% of the most “successful” resellers on Ebay, Poshmark, Etsy, Mercari, and Depop don’t just sell on one of these platforms alone. Most full time resellers cross-list, that is, list the same item on multiple platforms to increase its chance of selling. In this article, I’m going to bust some myths about crossposting and how you can level up your business.
You can use the code VISIBLYSOLD at ListPerfectly to get 30% off your first month of cross-listing software! The lowest plan starts at under $30 a month! Transparency note: I am a List Perfectly ambassador, so using my code will support this site and allow me to create more reseller content!
- Myth #1: It takes too much time! If you were copying and pasting each photo, description, and data point about your items from platform to platform it would not be worth your time (the more time you spend on each item means your labor cost on that piece gets higher and higher). But look at the math:
Pro Tip: How do I find out how long it takes me per task? Set up your phone to time you while you complete different tasks, such as listing or taking photos. Taking a variety of times and then averaging them is the best way to get a wholistic picture of how long you usually take to do each task. Don’t forget to track even the fun stuff, like how long it takes you to source your items, and travel time! This time adds labor to all of your items.
Let’s say it takes me 1/2 hour to source and process a vintage dress. I also decide to quadruple my chances of selling the item, and cross-post from Etsy, Depop, Ebay, and Mercari.
It takes me approximately 7 minutes to crosslist each item, depending on the platform. This can vary depending on what type of cross-listing service you use, and what level of subscription selected.
Pro Tip: To make your calculations more accurate, other items included in calculations could be gas or transportation costs, costs of cleaning supplies, the average cost per item of your cross-posting service (which often varies depending on how many pieces you post per month), and any other expenses that might apply to your situation. I used only a few factors in my example for simplicity’s sake.
- Myth #2: I have to be a professional reseller to afford tools like that! I mean, what is a professional anyway? Any seller, no matter how many listings, can benefit from getting more exposure on their items! More Eyes = More Potential Buyers! ListPerfectly has subscriptions for small and large resellers, starting at under $30 a month!
- Myth #3: If my items have been sitting for a while, it means my inventory is stale. Does this sound familiar? “My items have been sitting on Poshmark (or another platform) forever, nobody must want them.” Don’t give up yet! Just because your items are sitting doesn’t mean your inventory is stale. Sometimes when items are posted, they just don’t reach the right buyers. This can happen for a variety of reasons, like poor timing or items getting de-prioritized by the algorithms. Whenever that happens, I use a cross-listing service, like ListPerfectly, to re-post my items to Poshmark, Mercari, Depop, and more.
- Myth #4: It’s hard to manage my inventory! Ok, this one can be kind of true. You need to track where you post items to avoid double selling! Double selling is when you sell the same item on multiple platforms. It’s a bummer because that means you have to cancel a sale! This can really count against you on some selling platforms, like Ebay or Etsy. However, ListPerfectly’s product management included with the business plan will automatically delete items on other platforms one you mark them as sold! This has made managing my inventory across platforms a breeze.
- Myth #5: It’s hard to manage multiple platforms. This, like #4, can be true. However, you can avoid getting overwhelmed by implementing one platform at a time. Start with a main platform that you’ve had luck with in the past and call it your “master account.” Post all new posts to that platform FIRST, and crosspost from that platform. This helps me from getting confused! Working with one new platform at a time can reduce mistakes and give you time to adjust to each market’s needs.
What questions do you still have about cross-listing? Let me know by leaving me a message or reaching out to join the conversation on Instagram (@visiblysold), TikTok (@visiblysold), or Facebook! I can’t wait to hear from you!
Author: Rosie Zbaracki, Co-Owner Visibly Sold
Thrift addict, cat lover, and sustainability advocate. Get more reseller, thrift, and sustainability content on http://www.visiblysold.com or on Instagram!
Published August 2021